GTX 980 Strix GM204 GPU swap [story/guide]

Forum for any PC graphics card repair or modification guides & tutorials

Postby joshy » Wed May 20, 2015 5:54 pm

hi

this post is detailing a succsessful GPU swap of a gtx 980 strix board to board. first a little back story.

i did a post not long ago that has been lost since the server change so ill repost the vid here. it was about a 980 strix i had tried to repair but still had artifacting on screen, after reflows of the gpu and ram i came to the conclusion that the gpu was faulty due to a unusual bubbling around the gpu die (was not popcorning) possible a over volt/ overclock fail. so i called it there and put the card to one side for spares.

i later received another 980 strix thanks to ian parry aka '8 pack' as thanks for repairing a few of his cards. this card was one of the cards i repaired for him not only a 980 strix but a engineering sample so i couldn't wait to start clocking it.

this is a pic of the card after its reflow you can see the volt control mod wires soldered to the end

i used the card on occasion for about 2 months for gaming and all was good. then a few days ago i had a call from my gf that she could smell burning in the room i told her to unplug my test rig and anything else it could be. i hoped it wasnt my rig, but no, i returned home to this.

the main board in my rig i used for testing cards had gone up for no apparent reason. the traces burnt out under the 24pin power and under the pw/hdd led headers with the 980 strix in the rig when the event happened. i took the card into work the next day to use a test rig to check it, thats when things got worse.

i plugged the card in both power indicator leds by the pcie power connectors changed from red to white as i powered the card so things looked good i pressed the power and ZAP, big poof of smoke, and a little fire ball to go with it....dead 980 :o :facepalm:
front
back
i am unsure how the main board failing caused this but i am certain this is the case

in my despair i remembered the dead strix with a suspect gpu i had in the draw so a gpu swap came to mind :geek:

so first i lifted the gpu

i cleaned the pads with some lead solder then soaked it up with some braid to get this.

notice here that the pitch of the centre array is larger than the perimeter which was a bit of a pain so i had to tape up my universal stencil

so once i had the balls around the outside i had to manually pick and place the rest of them whilst removing the ones from blank spaces on the chip.

this is immediately after removing the stencil:

some progress made:

alittle more:

nearly there:

done:

now to solder them down and give the chip a bath

to get the final product ready for reattach

i then lifted the dead chip from the other card and cleaned the area for the attachment

then the only thing left was to reattach i took the lead to 220 on the reattach after the first attach (200c) worked for about 6 hours then crashed after the second at 220 it ran all day and night let cool and tested again and was solid

a pic in the rig running vally at 4k :mrgreen: :geek: :rockout:

hope you like the read :D
joshy
Administrator
Administrator

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: achi IR 6000 + scotle 858d+

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Graphics Cards