iphone LCD refurbishing, dealing with dust and the frame

All Iphone repairs to be discussed here regardless of model.

Postby untoldtech1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm new here and I've been reading a lot. I totally understand the removal process of the LCD from the various cell phones and think I can do it even though it will be trial and error. I've purchased the latest scotle removal device to refurb the *hundreds* of screen I have so I've got plenty of testing to do. I also understand now the LOCA clean up process and I've seen the process for using an autoclave type device to reapply a new digitizer to remove bubbles using OCA film and understand how that works. There are two things I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction that I haven't seen anyone discuss. lets us the iphone 4s as an example. The LCD comes off without the frame but frame comes off when you heat it up too. If you purchase digitizers (from what I've seen) they don't come with the frame, how do you put the frame back on the new digitizer properly. Most glues and other things I've seen will make the plastic brittle and make it easy to break. The other issue I haven't found any good thread on is how people avoid dust using LOCA/OCA film when the digitizer is being put back on the screen. Obviously a clean room can achieve this but that's cost prohibitively expensive for me (as it is for most small repair shops). Do you use something in the middle like a glovebox or something to prevent dust? some of my iCustomers are the most anal about condition when they get it back. I'd love to hear someone's feedback on doing this.

Thanks for everything you've posted thus far I've learned a bunch!
untoldtech1
Progress to next rank:
40%

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: iphone LCD refurbishing, dealing with dust and the frame

Postby MonctonBGAModder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Well, as far as the frame goes, you can buy bare frames for 4/4s/5/5C/5S which has 3M tape on them already to glue to the glass.

As far as the dust goes, if you're using OCA with Autoclave (from what I've heard), it pretty much needs to be 100% clean.
LOCA if more forgivable in regards to small smudges and dust. It sill needs to be clean, but a small piece of dust will not be or barely visible with LOCA.

I use LOCA, and workshop is in my basement, nothing fancy, and haven't noticed any pieces of dust in any of my repairs.

As far as iPhones are concerned, I can't be bothered re-glassing them anymore. With the price of a new Glass, new frame, glue, backlight, you can almost get a new assembly for the same price, so I don't bother anymore. I really only re-glass Samsungs as these don't have backlights, and the price for assemblies are still pretty high.
MonctonBGAModder
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Achi IR Pro SC V3, Aoyue 852A++, Baku 603D

Postby Coleman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Phil is spot on. Loca is very forgiving and will hide dust and scratches well. Best thing to do to when getting ready to put new glass is this.
Clean LCD until you're satisfied with it's look.
Start peeling back the plastic on the new glass. Just enough so you can easily peel it back in seconds.
Give LCD another wipe if any dust got there in the meantime
Apply loca to lcd
Grab glass and peel back bottom plastic only. ( I don't peel topside as it reduces cleanup of loca if any gets on top )
Put glass in mold on 45 degree angle and very slowly lower it to avoid getting bubbles.

Don't waste your money like I did on an autoclave unless you have an extremely clean room as it will show.absolutely every spec of dust.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Coleman
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V1

Postby untoldtech1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:12 pm

from what I've researched, the frame is $~1.5/frame, ~$3-5 for digitizers and ~$3.5 for backlight, my only unknown is approximately how much glue is needed if I went the loca route? Most of my price quoting is when buying in semi bulk (20+). Most places I buy 'complete' are in the range of ~$40 still for 5c/5s which means there's a $27-30delta between new and doing it myself. I like what you guys have said so I'll likely go the loca route. Who is a decent vendor to buy from as the stuff on ebay doesn't seem like it's legit and might be fake.
untoldtech1
Progress to next rank:
40%

Postby Coleman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 pm

I've never counted how many you can get buy I'm going to say on a 50cc tube you can get at least 25 done.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Coleman
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V1

Postby BGA Rework Store » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 pm

I know a great vendor who has used this loca glue himself . Not a bad bloke either lol http://bgareworkstation.co.uk/Phone_Rep ... _LOCA_Glue
BGA Rework Store
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: T8280 and ayoue 968 scotle ir6000 pr1000 lcd separator

Postby jaymbyrne » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Is it possible to purchase bigger than 50 ml container of glue ?
jaymbyrne
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Ireland
Set up: scotle ir 360 pro v3

Postby BGA Rework Store » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 am

It's seems that's the standard size I've had a look around can't seem to get any bigger
BGA Rework Store
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: T8280 and ayoue 968 scotle ir6000 pr1000 lcd separator

Return to Iphone Repairs