Samsung Plasma Picture Fault

Repair forum for T.V's and Monitors only.

Re: Samsung Plasma Picture Fault

Postby wrx884 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:06 am

Amraks wrote:Hey what are the boards in the TV?

You should be able to short out the Auto_Gen to get a test picture up.

if the test picture is clear its the main boards fault.

Also what are the voltages from the psu?

Is this the tag u need to see so u urself know what boards r in there?

can u explain how to do this test to short out the auto_gen to get a test picture and where I would find it? also do I do this after I have replaced the IC or do I do it now while the Y buffer boards have been removed?

I haven't tested the PSU voltages yet can I do this while the buffer boards r removed? or do I need to put them back in them fire it up with out the replacement IC done?

cheers for ur help.
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Puhui T870A, Scotle 858D+, Aoyue 936A, Micron T1260

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Amraks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:14 pm

This auto_gen & ext is on the control board it runs a test pattern, short them two with a bit of wire, while tv is off, leave wire there to run the test patterns.

So yeah will need buffer boards and it all back together to do these tests..
Amraks
Progress to next rank:
80%

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Yahui soldering station(clone junk) upgrading all my tools this july.

Postby wrx884 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 am

Amraks wrote:This auto_gen & ext is on the control board it runs a test pattern, short them two with a bit of wire, while tv is off, leave wire there to run the test patterns.

So yeah will need buffer boards and it all back together to do these tests..

My IC part has arrived and I have attached 1 of them back to the buffer board tho doing what u said I can not find auto_gen and ext on the control board? this is also known as the logic board yes? because that's the board im looking at that's in the service manual.
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Puhui T870A, Scotle 858D+, Aoyue 936A, Micron T1260

Postby wrx884 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:22 am

I finally managed to get around to nutting this project out after months wasted on just waiting for good working top and bottom buffer board to arrive, I managed to find a set that worked great, Both were from a different revision from the originals which at the time no one could really tell me if this made any difference even tho the part and model numbers matched, well proof in the pudding now it does not matter LOL.

So after trying to repair the original buffer boards they still gave me some sort of results but nothing too exciting as such. the black screen and flicking on and off disappeared as this was caused by the burnt out IC buffer on the lower board shorting out. After replacing it all buffer IC's seem to run fairly hot which isn't normal. (The IC I replaced tho ran nice and cool).

I decided to bite the bullet and try find working buffer boards as the Y drive board tested out all good (guys over at bad caps helped me out a lot here so props goes to them). After buying a top buffer board separate which was apparently a non used re-manufactured board but upon arrival it turns out the board I actually purchased was a later revision one and not the same as my original one so in the end since I didn't know if this could be used i tried to send it back but the seller said don't bother just keep it and refunded me for the mistake. Found a bottom buffer separate that was told was from a fully working TV but upon fitting these both it turns out the top buffer board was perfect but the bottom wasn't so much but baby steps I guess LOL (it was more frustrating at the time I can tell u that lol).

After trying to send back the bottom buffer the seller did the same thing and just refunded me in full for the issue. I managed to find another but this time this seller showed that the board was from a working TV so I took the punt again and bought this 1. Again this was from a later revision, knowing now the top buffer was good and was also from another revision my hopes of repairing this was much higher. sure enough after installing the lower buffer I thought ***k yeah done but to my surprise I noticed that there was a dreaded black horizontal line running across the screen in which I was told my panel had now become faulty and was beyond repairable :facepalm:

I started fiddling about trying to work out where and what would be sharing this one black line and it seems it was caused by 1 of the lower 2 ribbon connectors (this wasn't cause by poorly fitted connectors back onto the buffer boards BTW). I managed to work out that the black line was shared by one of the ribbon connectors some how? (how I couldn't tell u all I know it that line worked when removing 1 connector at a time). so I decided I would try reflowing the bottom 8 pins on the middle connector and on the bottom ribbon connector I did the top 8, thinking surely one of these would be the one that's used for the black line. Sure enough after plugging it all back in BAM TV FIXED whooohooo :D

In the end I wasted a lot of time into this most of it was just waiting 3-4 weeks at a time for parts to arrive and then eventually finding time to nut it out but in the end it cost me just over $100 to repair phew!!!!
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Postby VaNDAL_UK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Nice one!! Wish all my TV adventures had a happy ending like this!

Bad Caps is a cool forum been on and off there for years!
VaNDAL_UK
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: BGA is a fools game! Just fix the issue insted!

Postby wills123 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:10 pm

nice one mate, cool you got fixed :), im not quite sure i understand what you reflowed though? the connector on the bufferboard, or the ribbon cable? You sure it just wasnt a dirty contact between the two? but anyway congrats is nice when they work :)
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Postby wrx884 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:28 am

wills123 wrote:nice one mate, cool you got fixed :), im not quite sure i understand what you reflowed though? the connector on the bufferboard, or the ribbon cable? You sure it just wasnt a dirty contact between the two? but anyway congrats is nice when they work :)

It was the pins on connector on the ribbon cable side, not the buffer board side itself. I read these connections if not clipped in properly can cause black lines but I had them in and out that many times so I knew it wasn't because of that. The strange thing I cant explain is when I tried to isolate that black line to find which connector or ribbon was or could be at fault, that line actually worked when I had the top and bottom connectors in on the lower buffer but as soon as I plugged in that middle one it went black. it was like the line was linked tho I didn't think it was possible I thought they were all separate from each ribbon cable.
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Previous

Return to T.V's and Monitors