Samsung Plasma Picture Fault

Repair forum for T.V's and Monitors only.

Postby wrx884 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 am

Have been given this Samsung plasma PS-42S5H for free to have a little play with and see what I can do with it, so wondering if you guys can help out in some form as if I enjoy doing these I may start to do these down the track for something extra to do.

Problem is the screen flashes on and off continuously to a blank screen like this when powered on:

So far I have done some research and it seems (correct me if im wrong) its the top and bottom Y buffer boards that either need replacing ($125 pair cheapest ive found around) or to try spend as little as possible it probably is just burnt IC's on these buffer boards ($20 for 12 IC's). Id like to try replace the IC's to get some more practice removing and attaching these sort of chips but before I go ahead and order some can any 1 tell me if this is in fact the problem I should b looking into? I wont know if it does have burnt IC's until I remove the heat shields but before I do that what is the adhesive that's attaching these heat shields to the IC's?

Its real soft and rubbery but it looks like they may even have some thermal paste under the heat shields too so wondering if I remove this rubbery stuff can I just use a thermal paste adhesive (since I already have that) to put the heat shields back on or must I use something similar to what Samsung have? If so what is it so I can go buy some before I remove them and go further?

cheers in advance.
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Puhui T870A, Scotle 858D+, Aoyue 936A, Micron T1260

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Samsung Plasma Picture Fault

Postby wills123 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:09 pm

if you can find the service manual for it, most samsungs have ways of testing mainboard and lvds board for eleimnation of those
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Postby D4Rk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:25 am

Its some kind of high heat glue from the looks of it.
Not sure exactly what though.
I will say that those boards are usually to blame for any type of picture issue.
D4Rk
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: My hands

Postby wrx884 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 am

wills123 wrote:if you can find the service manual for it, most samsungs have ways of testing mainboard and lvds board for eleimnation of those

Found a service manual here http://elektrotanya.com/samsung_ps42s5h ... nload.html Tho it really doesn't go into depth regarding the IC's only just to text to see if these r operating normally.

Got some more info on the TV which hints more to these y buffer upper and lower boards. the top have of the screen used to only work for about 30mins or so and the lower half would b blank and then eventually come back so going off this I think im on the right track.

Darkweezil can I use the thermal adhesive that I mentioned as a substitute? mayb this glue is used also to help keep the heat shields in place as the IC's must get very hot and the thermal adhesive alone can become soft when heated up to certain temps, so the 2nd helping hand from this glue is to help keep these on? if so what else could I use?
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Puhui T870A, Scotle 858D+, Aoyue 936A, Micron T1260

Postby D4Rk » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:23 am

Have you hit up badcaps to see if any of those old fellas know what to use?
I am not exactly sure myself.
Ive done some digging but havent found much at all. :facepalm:
D4Rk
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: My hands

Postby wills123 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:11 am

darkweezil wrote:Have you hit up badcaps to see if any of those old fellas know what to use?
I am not exactly sure myself.
Ive done some digging but havent found much at all. :facepalm:

same as above^
deffo try bad caps forum, theres a wealth of tv info on there
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Postby wrx884 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:46 am

I haven't yet no got so many forums to keep track of lately lol. Did some more deeper research tho have found these Y buffer boards (upper and lower) r used in a fair few other bands and models so I have found a vid on how to test the Y buffer boards for shorts (not my exact model but seems same method applies) with out having to take off all those heat shields. Sure enough I found a short on the Lower Y buffer board and it was the very 1st top IC that had burnt out, so I removed the heat shield and I could see on top of the IC was 2 tiny blister spots and a very distinct burnt smell once the heat sink was removed (couldn't smell anything with the heat shield on funny enough).

I managed to also find another vid on how to remove these IC's so I have removed that IC just need to order a replacement now but I noticed on this vid the guy doing the repair used thermal paste (not sure if it was an adhesive?) and then used just hot glue around the IC and to keep the heat sink down. I have arctic silver thermal adhesive so was planning to use that. I have got hot glue on hand so if that can b used I will just use that until I can find out what this stuff actually is.

Next step is to then test other boards individually from what I have read otherwise the IC can blow again if there's a fault there. sounds like fun times LOL
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Postby wrx884 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 am

here some pics of the IC removed, u can see the 2 blisters right next to the "V" and the number "6"

wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Postby Amraks » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:34 am

Hey what are the boards in the TV?

You should be able to short out the Auto_Gen to get a test picture up.

if the test picture is clear its the main boards fault.

Also what are the voltages from the psu?
Amraks
Progress to next rank:
80%

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Yahui soldering station(clone junk) upgrading all my tools this july.

Postby we3dm4n » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Nice work until now - keep on :)

Yes, u can use ur arctic thermal paste - on this applies are normally thermal compound adhesive used but its not as good as the paste + hot glue regarding the thermal conductivity - so just do like the other guy ;)
we3dm4n
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Scotle IR360 Pro V3 3in1

Next

Return to T.V's and Monitors