Reball Jigs -- Well that escalated quickly.

PS4 repair forum

Postby gkop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 am

Ok, so I met with fam regarding the jig. Turns out, Im not the first person to think of my idea. Found a youtube video of someone else that made a extra thick jig. They said they loved it, but that it was expensive and never quoted even a ballpark cost.

***FYI: Ive bought several chinese jigs and they all warped within a few uses. One of which royally Fd a board. I have since made several homebrew jigs, but they are clunky and I know I can do better.

I open to suggestions if anyone has found a universal that actually works as advertised.

Here is what Ive found:

1) To prevent any future chance of jig bending, breaking, warping under heat I need to cut from at least 0.5" thick steel.
2) due to thickness of metal, I was informed that they would most likely cut it on the water jet cnc mach. he said that could cut up to 7" thick metal.
3) cost per jig will most likely be several hundred dollars; estimate 200 - 500 per single run jigs. metal cost at that thickness is a real @#$$%^. Best to order multiples at a time. So I may need to design several.
4) cost of jig does not include time involved in making cut designs via cad software, so its best if I can either keep design simple, or build the cad design myself. (i plan to keep simple, but also to build the cut design myself using librecad) cad work is not complicated; its just been a while.
5) lastly, I dont want to spend money on a flawed design, so I need to template test. Luckily, I have a local guy as my 3d printer is not large enough to test the dimensions of the jigs. He has a larger format 3d printer and a cnc router that can work with thin metal sheets for some accuracy testing.

Considering the price, i can see why quality jigs have never really become a thing. There was a guy on ebay selling jigs. His prices weren't cheap, but were reasonable. However, his store is now down and dont think he offers anymore. His designs were damn sexy but the thickness of his jigs made it the units undesirable for me. 3/16" is good, but will eventually warp. if you want a jig that will last, then .5 or thicker or at least, thats what Ive inferred from my look into the subject.

Anyone else got any info and/or experience on custom jigs that they dont mind sharing.

the first custom jig Im planning is for ps4 SAA and SAB. When Im done with design in cad I will update on this thread. It would be great to get some input on the design, if anyone else has cad experience, or even just general opinions of design as to how it allows heat to flow.

Thats All Folks
gkop
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
70%

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: ACHI IR6500 Modded 3500w, Hammer-Smash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Reball Jigs -- Well that escalated quickly.

Postby nik138 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 am

there is this guy on ebay who makes damn good jigs
nik138
Elite Member
Elite Member
Progress to next rank:
30%

National Flag:
India
Set up: HT-R390

Postby scooterck » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:10 am

I had my own made in 5mm steel - draw around your pcb, make a template and approach local engineering companies.

I have no problems with mine, it cost £40 gbp and will NEVER bend with it being 5mm steel, you will not find anything on Ebay that will come close to that for the price. The ones on Ebay are normally 3mm aluminum.

Hope that helps

ScooterCK
scooterck
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
80%

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: 4 x Jovy RE-7500, 2 x Achi Pro SC, 2 x Blackjack Bk6000 solder stations

Postby gkop » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 am

@scooterck

I got distracted with other projects but still working on this one. recently just upgraded/modified my ir machine and that has made a huge improvement. rapid ramp and deep penetrating heat from new better quality ir plates has drastically reduced possibility of warp. However, I still feel that a good, thick pcb support as you mentioned will make it even better. What type of steel did you use? I was looking at closer to quarter inch or larger to prevent and chance of warping due to continuous high temp exposure.

The only downside to my new modified IR array is that the only socket that can power is a dryer hookup. at least until I get a new 220v line ran. lack of 220v access is the downside to operating in the usa. My old config worked on a transformer for 110v to 220v that supplied up to 2400w @ 220v. New modified array can now pull up to 3500w, so the transformer is useless. I call it my "tim taylor" reflow station. The added power was worth it though. I used to wonder how people made claims of getting to top heat temps in or around 60-80 seconds. Now I know...it requires the right setup and power output for quick profiles. Pics for this to come as well...later and in the appropriate thread.

cad file still to come for those that are interested; just been busy with repairs and equipment upgrade projects. Ive also got a few other threads to update.
gkop
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
70%

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: ACHI IR6500 Modded 3500w, Hammer-Smash

Postby bart961 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 am

Bought mine from a guy on eBay, makes them out of heavy gauge aluminum. Paid about $100 each. Bought several for shop and different mobos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182670754543

Send him a message, he's very nice and easy to work with. He even does custom engravings on the jigs
bart961
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: ACHI Ir PRO w/ Elstein Heaters

Postby nik138 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 am

yep hes the guy i had mentioned earlier i bough an xbox one jig from him
nik138
Elite Member
Elite Member
Progress to next rank:
30%

National Flag:
India
Set up: HT-R390

Return to PS4 Repairs