Help with white light please?

PS4 guides and tutorials.

Postby chronic519 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Customer sent in a ps4, boots up to white light, flickers black to no signal occasionally. Plug in DVI to HDMi and it shows the recovery menu in fuzzy screen. Boots up and does the same thing, no video and sometimes flickers black. I tried a difference HDMi cable, replaced the HDMI port twice. Tested the diodes and caps, tested the bottom SMD's for shorts (all have connections). I swapped my working HDMI controller chip to his board, only thing that changes its now fuzzy with no picture. I have a hunch that the HDMI controller chips maybe very sensitive to heat and maybe dying on removal (I use a heat wand). Also I read someone says swapping the Diodes worked out (harvested from a PS3 board)? Anyways, I installed his HDMI controller to my console with resulted in a flickering occasional screen and no DVI to HDMI action. Yes I can solder and yes I check for bridges (I use my phone to take high close up pictures).

Anyone care to share any input on the subject? I have swapped HDMI controllers on PS3's never had issues with DIODES or controller chip swaps. The fact I installed the (defective?) HDMI controller to a working board yielded the same results minus the DVI output (monitor just goes to sleep). I am leaning to the fact that the PS4 HDMI controller chips are very sensitive to heat and will result in failure. Maybe that is why they fail to begin with?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Set up: ACHI IR PRO SC V3

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Help with white light please?

Postby chronic519 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:50 am

OMFG: The Chinese!!!! I am sure everyone on hear has been shang highed before. Ordered 5 HDMI ports, installed first one no issues. The other 4 were just swapped and all showed different results. Snow picture, green picture, no picture. Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone in the same boat (Order good ports). Get the ones with the pins on top of the plastic inside, the ones I got have grooves and the pins inside. Clearly the pins were not all making contact!!!!!! I had better success and an almost perfect picture with the HDMI cable barley in. HELL I soldered so slow and perfect to ensure no bridges could ever happen. I could not believe my eyes when I got a white light. 3 freaking days of BS over crap ports...... Kung F.U. we got you!

I am gonna start a new topic. DO NOT ORDER FROM? AND WHY? We all need to start calling out these crooks.
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby VaNDAL_UK » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Order the V2 HDMI ports much better fit and every one I've used works. They are the ones that only have the pins exposed at the back.

These on the left are the V2:

I've used the ones on the right are shite! and they are out of alignment and have had bad connections where it would only display in safe mode or fuzzy / snowy picture or look fine until you touch the HDMI cable.

Oh yeah nice one for not doing the knee jerk reaction of re-balling the APU! :rolleyes:
VaNDAL_UK
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: BGA is a fools game! Just fix the issue insted!

Postby chronic519 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:20 pm

So I harvested a working HDMI controller from my own PS4. I installed it to the customers console after swapping HDMI jacks. I installed the other HDMI controller to mine. I also replaced the jack. Long story short. I just installed a new HDMI jack to the customers, I soldered it very carefully and took many HD shots with my camera through the process. First I booted it with fuzzy picture. Then reflows controller and changed the jack. Now no picture. I am going with my gut and stating this.

I am under the impression the HDMI controller on the PS4 are very sensitive to heat. The console was functioning before I pulled from mine. After swapping HDMI controllers between consoles I pretty much have the same results on both. HDMI jack is spot on and all my connects are good. I tested diodes and caps (all passed on both consoles). I used a heat wand to pull and swap.

I have used this same process on PS3 fat, slim and super slim. Never had a problem pulling from donors and installing to customers. I raised a few back from serious power surge damages this way.

Anyways I am ordering the parts and will let everyone know. I will be pulling chips with wand and installing very carefully with soldering iron. Chinese shipping GG.
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby surbo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:51 am

did you check your signal filters? Image :)

edit:oops you mentioned this in your post disregard.. gotta stop skim reading =p
surbo
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
10%

Set up: Achi

Postby VaNDAL_UK » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:10 pm

I have to clean my HDMI cables from time to time in the ultra sonic cleaner and I have to clean the new port once soldered in as the flux get every where and can cause no end of problems.

I get some tissue on the end of a alloy spudger with IPA and wipe the pins top and bottom inside the newly soldered port.

Now when I buy in a batch of HDMI ports I sonic clean them right away.

Honestly clean the cables and ports!
VaNDAL_UK
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: BGA is a fools game! Just fix the issue insted!

Postby chronic519 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Got my HDMI controllers in. FML! JUST FML!

- Installed replacement HDMI controller to mine, White light
- Changed jack, WHITE F***** LIGHT!
- Either the Chinese are screwing me again or something got to much heat and pooched out.
- Tested all diodes, step ups, caps, ensured 100% no bridges, pad pulls, etc.

I swapped jacks no problem, never issues swapping jacks. Change controllers now I have an issue. I always tape down the shield above the controller to prevent heating other then the jack.
1+1 = the step up diodes or w/e they are called (below HDMI controller). Probably test good but are toast, maybe something else in the area...... The only thing I can think that is going on. Last shot, maybe someone had the same experience?

Board was good before pulling a donor HDMI controller from it.
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby chronic519 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:13 pm

I tested these for continuity. All 3 have no reading.... Each side, cleaner to ensure its getting connection...... I assume testing little guys like this is straight forward. These should let a current go through right?

[img] http://postimg.org/image/eyxxid4pr/ [img]
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby chronic519 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Alright, what a derm moment. I checked the filters for shorts (damn things were crossed and shorting, all 4 of them). Replaced from PS3 donor board. Now I get to checking hard drive. Reboots, white light 3 beeps, no damn system showing!!!
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby chronic519 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:09 pm

All fixed, changed filters, reinstalled Sony OS. Works like a charm. Damn Sony, filters are so trashy LOL.
chronic519
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Progress to next rank:
0%

Next

Return to PS4