NEC Tokin capacitors

All PS3 repair related topics to be kept to this section.

NEC Tokin capacitors

Postby wrx884 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 am

Hey Guys seems im not having much luck getting ps3's in that haven't been repaired badly, tho this I 1 knew had been previously repaired by a mates father who actually got the machine 2 work for a couple months after. my mate couldn't tell me how his dad repaired it but from inspection im guessing he just used the old heat gun trick :facepalm: I cant see any traces of flux residue anywhere but found 2 x NEC/Tokin OE128 caps were damaged. can these b replaced easy enough or r they too much trouble for wat they r worth? if they can b replaced can I used any of the ones from scrap boards? I also noticed the 2 R30W 7938J components and the 2 x R33 73^S components seem to have fresh solder put on the bases of these. Any reason he would have done this? im guessing that's how he mayb damaged the caps by trying 2 flow the solder with a heat gun? Can these caps give the signs of YLOD?

Tho id also like 2 throw a thought at u guys since his dad apparently got the machine 2 run, im guessing these caps were damaged then and not after the machine got the YLOD so that means the machine was working even tho these had damage on the tops of them. so wondering if replacing the GPU would b worth a shot 2 get this machine running again? I did reball this chip but b4 I did I did notice after I removed the IHS there was 2 tiny popcorn blisters under those little resistors so I didn't have high hopes this GPU would work. I couldn't see any other signs of pop corning on the motherboard itself so mayb its salvageable?? as suspected tho after the reball it still gave me the YLOD. I haven't reflowed the chip yet incase it was operator fault, I still may do that just for piece of mind and more practice LOL.

any help is always appreciated :)
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Puhui T870A, Scotle 858D+, Aoyue 936A, Micron T1260

NEC Tokin capacitors

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NEC Tokin capacitors

Postby wills123 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:04 am

those look well fried lol be suprised if they working now, tbh i wudnt of even gone to the effort of reballing that board lol, agree with steve on not touching things like this, they always end up head ache,
they can be replaced using hot air wand, its not too hard i have changed two before(same scenario as ure board :facepalm: :facepalm: ), i took the ones i needed off a scarp board but u can get theese new off ebay an such.
If u were to go ahead an fix this board by sy putting on a new rsx and it worked, would you risk sending it out with those parts melted????
i know i wudnt so would insist that the customer paid for all the work and there is still a chance it wont work, ball is in there court then an no bad comebacks on u :P, btw 99.9% of customers will refuse the option an take there scrap board back an heat gun it some more till its tottaly dead or ebay it, ive had my fair share of those :lol: :lol: :lol:
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Postby wrx884 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 am

Well I hear wat u guys r saying and I wont forget it either :) but would I b right in assuming u guys a basing these opinions purely as a business sense? I myself am not in any sort of business but purely want 2 learn everything that goes on in fixing these PS3's, which unfortunately might mean chasing my tail with certain faults, who knows I could probably b able 2 help u guys one day if I find a known fault? :). but yeah its just a hobby of mine ive taken up as I like pulling things apart and making them work again ahaha so really im not out 2 make money but I do see ur fair points. who knows mayb later down the track once I have enough experience and knowledge (but I do need ur help along the way :P) I could then confidently send out a unit such as this. I know it mayb asking a lot from u guys but if u do have any info on wat 2 chase im always all ears :)

Oh and im more than likely going 2 b given this PS3 if the GPU didn't work so it wont cost any1 a cent yet apart from a known working GPU so far.
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia
Set up: Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Puhui T870A, Scotle 858D+, Aoyue 936A, Micron T1260

Postby wills123 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:08 pm

fair play, i was talking from a buisness sense so too speak, if ure happy to fiddle then take the cap/ic thingys from a scrap board an replace with using hr wand, i used my machines bottom ir heat to preheat board to 170 c before i removed them but i dont think this is strictly needed :D :D
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Postby wrx884 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 pm

cheers mate I have nothing 2 lose really apart from time haha :p so I may do it. I wont b putting any working GPUs on the board until components r replaced I think that the best thing 2 do.

would u b able 2 tell me wat these r 4? the 4 components below the caps (R30W 7938J components and the 2 x R33 736S components) that im assuming the guy tried 2 re solder and mayb y?
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Postby wills123 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm

no mate sorry i dont have clue, cnt imagine why they weree resoldered either unless heatgun blew them awy lmao
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain

Postby wrx884 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 am

LOL anything is possible I guess haha :facepalm: ok cheers i'll try hunt down to find out wat they r exactly cheers 4 ur help so far mate :)
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Postby Bladiclab » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi everyone, don't want to double threads, so i will ask you right there. I have a board with slightly fried Nec Tokin caps. I don't want to have a deal with this shit and there is my question:

Can i replace these caps with hi quality ceramic caps 1210 100 uF? I have a plenty of them, so i can place 10 of these instead of 1 nec tokin. I wonder about frequency characteristics, but in most of cases it will be better i think. Want to know if you would suggest me about it. Thanks. )
Bladiclab
Progress to next rank:
40%

Postby mertkara » Thu May 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Bladiclab, there are two considerations, the first one obviously being the value of these capacitors which is unknown and the second one being the voltage rating and frequency characteristics. You’ll need to observe and perhaps reverse the circuit around these capacitors to a certain degree just to have an idea what they were doing there. If they are just for noise protection in digital lines, go ahead. But if they are part of any filter, that’s a red line right there.

assembly pcb
Last edited by mertkara on Thu May 21, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mertkara
Progress to next rank:
40%

Postby wrx884 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:58 am

mertkara wrote:Bladiclab, there are two considerations, the first one obviously being the value of these capacitors which is unknown and the second one being the voltage rating and frequency characteristics. You’ll need to observe and perhaps reverse the circuit around these capacitors to a certain degree just to have an idea what they were doing there. If they are just for noise protection in digital lines, go ahead. But if they are part of any filter, that’s a red line right there.

Those caps are 1200uF 2.5V. you can still readily buy these new.
wrx884
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Australia

Next

Return to PS3 Repairs