NEC Tokin capacitors

All PS3 repair related topics to be kept to this section.

Re: NEC Tokin capacitors

Postby jdbkbga » Fri May 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Over many years of reballng PS3 I have seen quite a few of this type of problem. Heat gun s too hot, kills stuff, melts stuff. Most people think they are reflowing the gpu and CPU and the heat gun s so hot t melts these caps. The caps are collateral damage. The gpu and CPU are the man damage. I can say that if both sets f caps have even a little melting, then the gpu and CPU are dead. After all, that s what was being reflowed and that is where the most heat was applied. The heat sheald he's the damage.

Go ahead and replace everything and let us know what you find out.
jdbkbga
Banned
Banned

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: Rework machine/Soldering Iron/Flux/Alcohol (to drink!)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bladiclab » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:17 pm

jdbkbga, sorry, missed your post. I agree with you. Also, i replaced those caps and this changed nothing. Of course, i replaced RSX (the one near which caps were burned). Console starts, but very quickly it heats up (or seems like that), fan is going to speed up very quickly and gets pretty noizy and then ps3 shuts down. Whole process going about 1-10 minutes, sometimes it stays on, but then i start games it shuts down very quickly. Don't know where i should search for a problem. Model CECHK08 (mb DIA 002). The most hot things - PSU unit, power supply chips on RSX main power rail, of course CPU (But it is not so hot as i think). I can find heating point with infrared imager if it will help, but that might not help at all i think. For know it just laying under my bed. If you have idea i would try it.
Bladiclab
Progress to next rank:
40%

Postby viya123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 am

You’ll need to observe and perhaps reverse the circuit around these capacitors to a certain degree just to have an idea what they were doing there. If they are just for noise protection in digital lines, go ahead. But if they are part of any filter, that’s a red line right there.

PCBA
viya123
Progress to next rank:
20%

Previous

Return to PS3 Repairs