elstein plates and pid tuning

Forum for all DIY topics.

Postby grant2258 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:57 am

Hi there, Ill try keep this one short. My introduction to bga was a second had bauer ir pro sc v4. It came with no so great settings a faulty bottom plate thermocouple and bad bottom plates. I replaced all the plates with elsein. At first (before i knew anything about pids at all) i thought my controller was faulty so i got a new pc410 and rex c100. Then i noticed something spectacular i couldnt seem to get my bottom temp stable it was over shooting then off longer than it should have been. So the temps where risting up and down making it look like my top plate was faulty.

I managed to find settings that semi worked stable but slow in heating up the bottom plates. I can keep the temp with +-1 degrees now. with the bottom plates. Does anyone have any ball park figures for the top and bottom plates for elstein plates that are stable(even non elstein plates will do).

I know the pid tuining is the problem because stabiluty changes when i set them. I baught and ardunio and a max31855 to make my own pid controller if i cant get any figures im going to just program a pid controller. Its not that hard as there is a pid librbay out for it. I dont have a oscilloscope so see the output of the pid to tune it so the next best bet is just to hook up and andrunio pid and scope its output in software to see whats going on.
grant2258
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: elstein plates and pid tuning

Postby grant2258 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 am

Well I have done the code for the ardunio just need to wait for the ardunio and the 2 max31855s. There is one more thing I'm going to test . maybe the pc410 will auto tune the bottom plates better for ball park values. The rexc100 over shot again when I auto tuned it. I put my values in and it's stable enough but very slow compared to what it was i should be hitting 170 top side by 3 minutes. Hopefully will get this next week when I'm off work unless some kind soul has settings to share.
grant2258
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby code0102stinks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 pm

For you bottom heat, where is your controlling TC placed? Touching a bottom plate or touching bottom of your pcb you are working on? You have a pro with
both HR and IR? Which top heater are you using? What PID settings do you have now in your PC410 and Rex C100?
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Postby grant2258 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 am

I tired the bottom plate ]with tc in the holder and on the plates. I ended up getting a max31856 because the max31855 wasnt any good for what i wanted to do it had too many ground faults. With the ardunio pid library I was able to tune the bottom plates so thats a good thing. I have it working on the pc410 and rexc100. Im getting good enough function from the machine.

It would be really helpful on here to have a thread with ball park figures for the rexc100 and pc410 settings for the machines the bottom plates are harder though but i just tuned with the tc on the heating element to get a nice responce and it worked well. It working well as it should.

All I use the ardunio for now is for setting the temperature offset of the pc410 as it has no cold junction compensation I think it defaults to 20 degrees room temp or there abouts. The main thing is the ardunio done what i needed gave me pid and output curves.

I am going to fine tune the pid loop but for now the machine is working as it shoudl and can lift chips no problems it works within the machines specs. The heating time for the ps3 took 5 minutes i thought this was too long but the plates are up to temp withing the 3 and a half minutes it just takes the board about 5 minutes to reach 177 top side which is just the mass of the board. one tip I can give you all for your tuning is ir needs to pulse on and off all the time as the radiation does the work if the controller over shoots and you have time when the output isint blinking your pid settings are not good. PID settings on a different voltage wont work either you need a 110 or 220 ball park config.

the settings i have for 220 volts one the rexc100 for bottom plates with the thermocouple sitting on the holder of the bauer is
p = 26
i =11
d =2
r =1
ar = 20
grant2258
Progress to next rank:
0%

Return to DIY Forum