Need help rewiring a Scotle HR460C rework station.

Forum for all DIY topics.

Postby Spork Schivago » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:52 am

Hello,

I ordered a used Scotle HR460C rework station. One of the heating elements came busted. The seller refunded me money and I bought some Elstein HTS/1 and HTS/4 heating elements to replace the older ones. The problem was I didn't realize the older ones had a much longer wire. I should have measured them but I made a mistake and assumed the standard was long enough and I didn't need the extended version.

Anyway, I had to move the terminals closer but I have some questions. I'm not 100% certain I did this correctly. Are the infrared ceramic heating elements polarized? I've been looking at them kinda like big resistors. This is a block diagram that I drew up of how it is currently wired together. I was hoping someone with more experience than I could look at it and tell me if it looks good to go.

I've noticed the way it was originally wired up had the top two heating elements wires on the bottom right side connected together. Does that really matter? I hope I explained this well enough. I'm also attaching a picture of just how the top two were originally wired. I can try and create a full diagram of the original wiring if someone needs it, but it takes a good bit of work to make these pictures. I used Paint Brush.

I've contacted Scotle and unfortunately, this unit hasn't been made in a while and they cannot find any diagrams or pictures of how it originally went.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spork Schivago
Progress to next rank:
0%

Set up: Weller WHA900 Hot Air Rework Station, Weller WHP3000 600 Watt 120v Preheater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Need help rewiring a Scotle HR460C rework station.

Postby Deus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 am

Posted link to schematic below as I first thought you made a mistake.
Think I'm getting color blind....
Looks ok.

Have a look at this, a schematic I made for my V1 Achi.
http://www.bgamods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3730&p=40074&hilit=schematic#p40074

The principle is the same.
The plates (resistors) have to be connected parallel, not serial.
For switching plates on/off I use single pole switch.
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Spork Schivago » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Thank you. When you say plates (resistors), you're talking about the Infrared Heating elements, right?

So, in the original, the way Scotle had them wired, the top two ceramic heating elements were wired in such a way where the right sides were connected together. Does that actually matter?

Also, even though I'm still very knew to all of this and learning, I don't really understand how the switches work on my Scotle. I traced the wire and each switch goes to every heating element eventually...

Also, what's the worst that could happen if I have some of these heating elements wired up incorrectly? Would they just not work or could I cause a fire or fry the whole thing? I'd imagine I'd end up frying something if I had a ground connected to a hot wire or something.
Spork Schivago
Progress to next rank:
0%

Set up: Weller WHA900 Hot Air Rework Station, Weller WHP3000 600 Watt 120v Preheater

Postby Spork Schivago » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:41 pm

I believe I've recreated the way the original wiring was, from pictures that I had taken. Originally, I meant to take more pictures but I guess I didn't hit the button hard enough and only snapped one when it was still untouched. I used a bunch of other pictures I took later on to reconstruct how I believe it originally was wired. Here's what I got.

So, overall, does anyone see any reasons why the way I currently have it wired (Block Diagram of how it's currently wired block diagram.png) wouldn't work? I guess what worries me the most is why Scotle had the top two wired the way they had it. Does it actually matter? Here's a picture of how I believe the original wiring went. What do you think?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spork Schivago
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby Spork Schivago » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:59 am

I think I got it!!! I moved some wires around so it's wired the way it was originally wired, just that some wires are in different terminals now. The top ones I had to do some fancy stuff, but all wires are connected to each other like they originally were and I turned the unit on for the very first time! It was awesome!

I've contacted Scotle seeing if there was a firmware update available. The software is a little iffy I think. For example, I hit start, it starts heating, but when I hit off, it didn't turn off. I had to hit the back button, then go back in and hit start again to get it to stop. After I did it the first time, it started working as expected though. Now I just gotta figure out what all the various fields for the profiles are. I've read the menu but it's not very clear.

I know how to save profiles and load profiles, but I'm not sure what some of the fields actually mean. There's 6 columns labeled 1 - 6. Then there's a bunch of rows.
Code: Select all
Upper Temperature
Upper Rate
Time Constant
Lower Temperature
Lower Rate
Time Constant
Infrared Temperature
Infrared Rate
Time Constant

So, for each row, I can set a value 6 times. I believe there's three groups, one for the upper heater, one for the lower heater and one for the infrared preheaters. Just gotta figure out what the heck the rates and time constants are. I was thinking maybe the rate is how fast it raises the temperature, I think they call it slope time or something. Then maybe time constant is how long it holds the temperature for once it reaches the set temperature. Does that sound about right? I wouldn't think I'd need to change the rate at which the temperature changes though. I thought that was a standard of around 1 - 2 degrees C per second. So maybe I'm way off.

I'm thinking the columns are so I can say stuff like okay, in column one, just preheat the board using the preheater and the bottom heater. Then, in column two, once were preheated for 60 seconds or whatever I set, then apply the top air until it reaches temperature X. Hold it for x amount of seconds. Then, because they're BGA, I'd fill in the rest of the profile in the other columns. Does that sound about right?
Spork Schivago
Progress to next rank:
0%

Return to DIY Forum