Wiring heaters together

Forum for all DIY topics.

Re: Wiring heaters together

Postby code0102stinks » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:01 pm

bgagurl wrote:
code0102stinks wrote:Think of your heating elements as very high wattage resistors, because basically that is what they are. Two equal resistance plates
hooked in series to 220 would result in each plate getting 110v. I just wondered if you had 110v plates cuz you mentioned hooking up
plates in series. Sounds like you haven't attained the extra plates yet. Just buy the 220v plates and keep all plates hooked up in series.
Hooking any of them up in series will drastically cut voltage to your plates. For example: If you had four 600w/220v plates and hooked
them all up in one long series, you would get a whopping 150w of power from all four plates combined. Parallel gives you 2400w.

That makes total sense, i did some google searching on series versus parallel and basically the information you provided just cleared it for me

Just read your last post and just realized I typed wrong word. "Just buy the 220v plates and keep all plates hooked up in series." (wrong)

Should have typed "Just buy the 220v plates and keep all plates hooked up in parallel."

Sorry for the confusion. Buy correct plates and use parallel bgagurl.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheBGAReworkMachine » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Sorry to post in your thread, we were doing some testing on series and parallel benefits and well this topic fit the bill
The information provided thanks to code0102stinks confirmed our initial findings

For wiring the T8280 it should not be too difficult to wire extra heaters, the way it is laid out
Home depot and Ace hardware have terminal blocks FYI
TheBGAReworkMachine
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby code0102stinks » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:27 pm

The only terminal blocks I found at Home Depot and other local hardware stores were plastic. If you need any additional
terminal blocks you can get ceramic ones off Ebay. Just search for "ceramic terminal block" and they will pop up.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Postby TheBGAReworkMachine » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 am

That is correct, they are plastic. Most machines include the traditional plastic terminal blocks. The ceramic style provides better heat resistance. IR heaters are also made from ceramic.

TheBGAReworkMachine
VIP Member
VIP Member

Previous

Return to DIY Forum