Progress to next rank:
20%

Re: [DIY] BGA rework station

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby egberttheone » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:05 pm

The rework station is finished.
I was tuning the PID loops, when the termocouple got loose(tape failed to hold).
The heat gun got red hot and the element failed.
Need to wait for a new one to arrive.

What do you think of this profile?

Assemble pictures:

egberttheone
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

Postby Scootie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 pm

My God(if there's one), your machine looks like a piece of art. Beautifull.
Scootie
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
80%

Set up: Puhui T8280 + Aoyue 968A+

Postby rastaman46 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Can u share bit side of software u use?

Im sick of codding and software /Firmware things!!!

I would like to code my own soft for PC410

Regards
rastaman46
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: scotle ir6000 v4

Postby egberttheone » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm sorry i'm not going open source on this project.

I'm going to use the build-in thermo couple in the heat gun to monitor and control the temperature so it can not overheat.
The problem is that the PCB(work piece) heats slowly and the PID will ramp u to maximum output, making the gun glow like a light bulb :idea: :oops: .
I will use the thermo couple in the heat gun to monitor and maintain a certain maximum temperature.
egberttheone
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

Postby code0102stinks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:23 pm

this is a really nice build man. Good work. Like the preheater with IR under the ceran glass. Will work great assuming you
have the wattage you need. Nice controller you did a lot of work on too. The only thing that is a blemish to your project is
the choice of top heat. Such a beautiful job on the rest deserves a better top heater. Just offering constructive advice. Love
the build.
I noticed you are joining hot and neutral to the bottom elements at one end of the circuits where the elements are hooked
parallel. By the time the power gets to the 8th element, that bare wire is carrying power for 7 elements. the 1st element gets
a straight shot. I would have tapped the connections where the 4th and 5th elements join. To equal the load in case of any
voltage drop.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Postby egberttheone » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you for your compliment, what top heater would you prefer? I would like the project to be cost effective that is why i used a old hotplate.
I have to say the performance of the top heater so far is disappointing, i think the air flow is to low.
But from the searches on google people love this heat gun so i will not give up to fast.
I have used 1,5mm2 wire for the connection between the elements so i think the voltage drop is negotiable.

Here are some pictures:

liquid mica :?:

DIY thermo couple, made of a 10 euro ikea desk lamp.
egberttheone
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

Postby code0102stinks » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:34 am

OK. From the previous pics you posted it looked like you were using the smaller size hot air wands like 22mm OD. Seeing this pic with your
hand in the pic with the tube and element, it looks like the larger size tube. 35mm. Is that right? And you bought one of those bga nozzles
with the 35mm inlet to fit handheld paint stripper heat gun? That is better way to go than the small 22mm OD like you see on most wands.
I bought the netted nozzle with 35mm inlet for my modded heat gun top heater. It did not perform very even, so I designed and built my own
nozzle. One thing I found out though is I needed to have a centralized deflector at the end of my heat gun tube to properly spread the heat.
Had I had the deflector before, I think the netted nozzle would have performed better. I am very happy with my DIY nozzle though. It's better.
This is what I am talking about as far as a centralized deflector.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVERLINE-HO ... 43ba55475a

The Scotle HR top heaters have a recessed center heat deflector as in this pic.

Boy, what happened to your poor top heater element? That looks like it had really low air flow in order to get that hot. Wow. How many watts is that
top heater wand you have? What model machine is that wand a replacement wand for? I built my top heater from a heat gun you buy at the hardware
store and it was rated at 1450W. I utilized the "low" setting circuitry of the heat gun because I knew at full power it would cook the element because
I have to slow the fan down to a level for doing rework. It uses a large diode in series to achieve the low power setting. Basically a "half wave" pattern
to cut the power to the element in half. So, I have about 725W top heater and it will go up to 400C quickly if I want it to. Using a large wattage element
with a diode in series makes my element very tough. I can have my fan down very low and it has never burned out. I also use tc by chip for control like
you do with IR instead of airstream. Yours is using airstream, so I don't know why your element burned out. Being airstream controller has fast response
and should not let element get that hot. Is your DIY controller functioning properly? Longwinded. Sorry. Did you consider IR top heater?
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby egberttheone » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:44 pm

The wand is a ATTEN 858D, it is rated 700W (watt) and a air flow of 120 L/minutes (max).
But the airflow is really low even when i run the fan on 15V (it is rated 12v).
When the heating element is put to 230V(max) and the fan is at full speed, the wand will glow like a bulb and fail. :oops:
Conclusion: the heating element is putting out more energy then the fan can blow away, to maintain the temperature below the point of melting.
3 options:
- Replace the top heater to something better.
- Restrict the maximum power send to the heating element (will lower ramp speed).
- Monitor hot air output and restrict the maximum temperature of the hot air (500 degree?).

The heat dispersion of the cone shaped nozzles seems not to be the best(google).
Do you know a source where to buy a Scotle HR top heater or parts from the housing?

EDIT: I have done my research on IR vs convection top heaters and the best results for most application where obtained with convection.
egberttheone
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

Postby code0102stinks » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 pm

You can try another element that is same dimensions but higher wattage, like 1400W and use diode in series
like I mentioned before to cut power in half. makes for durable element. But if your airflow is really bad, try to make
a modded heat gun like from hardware store. Yours has central deflector, which is good, but if fan is that bad, then
try making a modded paint stripping gun. Whatever people want to call them.
You are right about the cone-shaped nozzles. Crap, but you can mod it to perform better. As far as where to buy
a scotle HR top heater assembly with nozzles. See if Karl has them still. I think he was mentioning he had some a
while back. Got mine from private party on ebay last year. haven't utilized it yet. Part of new DIY project.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Forum