Scratched discs repair

Place your before and after pictures here and any repair tips you may have .Remember no Rgh/Jtag work.

Scratched discs repair

Postby tahitian954 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:56 pm

This is nothing to do with console repair, but it may be of interest or help to someone!
I had a proper machine for fixing scratched discs where you insert the disc and let it do its thing with pads and paste, but the motor burnt out on me while doing a repair for someone, so I came up with a manual method. Now this really depends on how badly scratched the disc is, if you can get your finger nail catching on the scratch then this probably wont work, but if it is light scratches, swirl marks, then this works with a good bit of elbow grease!

Things you will need..
G1 cutting compound for auto paint repairs
General T-cut (not the coloured kind or you will make a huge mess)
Good quality finishing polish eg.autoglym
Some clean microfibre cloths.

First step is to use the G1 cutting compound, just a small dab on the cloth and rub quite firmly over a small area at a time until it starts to buff away literally, and continue all the way around the disc, keep doing this until you cant see the scratches. Wipe away any residue before the next step.
Use a different cloth now (or the other end of the cloth you have been using) to avoid cross contamination. Using the T-cut, do the same as before in step one and again wipe away any residue when you are finished, if you have done it correctly you will be starting to see the nice smooth surface.
Clean cloth again, smear a very thin layer of polish over the disc, let it dry, then buff it off.

This is a pain in the ass to do, but if you have just shelled out £40 for a game and it wont read because of neglect, then this just might help you out! ;)
Last edited by tahitian954 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tahitian954
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Scotle ir pro, Atten 8586, omega tc.

Scratched discs repair

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Scratched discs repair

Postby brett1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 pm

awesome advice really sure this will help loads to save few quid
brett1
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: scotle hr 6000 and Ayoue 968

Postby tahitian954 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Glad there is something I could give back to the forum. The good part is that most people have cars, and will already have most of the materials on hand!
tahitian954
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby DrunkenNinja » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm

I remember reading a guide some years back using Brasso :? It actually works in a similar way to the method in your post.

Someone told me once though that you should always wipe the disc from inside to out cause any new scratches created from this action would not effect the natural reading cycle of the disc.
DrunkenNinja
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: Aoyue 968 - Modified Heatspreader / Puhui T-8280 - C100 Controller Modification

Postby tahitian954 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 pm

That probably would work as-well, the g1 compound has tiny abrasive grains in it, this is the part which does most of the work. I would imagine brasso has a similar compound in it so that makes perfect sense!
tahitian954
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Genaugmen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Just a word of warning... I've dealt with polishing cd's and dvd's before and you need to take care to not polish too hard or too long. There has to be a minimum thickness to that clear layer you're trying to clean up. If it's too thin the laser will not be able to focus and you'll end up with a disc that won't read at all.
Genaugmen
Progress to next rank:
80%

Postby tahitian954 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Yes, it really is just for light scratches, not deep ones. I used it to get me by when my machine broke down, and it did the trick!
tahitian954
VIP Member
VIP Member

Return to Showcase Your Repairs, Tips & Tricks