Pad repair

Place your before and after pictures here and any repair tips you may have .Remember no Rgh/Jtag work.

Re: Pad repair

Postby tahitian954 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Im hoping it is too pcpetes, as its something I have done. Its such an easy thing to do, and if theres a chance of saving something, then I'm all for it, I hate giving up on anything!
tahitian954
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Scotle ir pro, Atten 8586, omega tc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TiMMY12321 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:46 am

pcpetes wrote:Out of the two silver paint brands i tested there isn't much difference. On both accounts after pulling the gpu and cleaning, the pad whole was still visible under a scope. This does work after attachment , and I've had a box running for three weeks on a repaired pad on a 360 hdmi.

It's a great idea and worth doing. I'm just prodding along with the 360 to see how long it last's. If i get 3+ months out of it, then that's good enough to start using on customer consoles... Nice work tahitian954 looks like a good repair procedure

Is this console still working or did it break down ?
TiMMY12321
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: T8280 and Atten

Postby blkapache » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:40 pm

I can honestly say this works, guys. I bought the same silver conductive paint and rapaired a couple of boards with this method. After a couple of months, they are still going strong.
blkapache
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: Achi IR PRO SC, JBC CD-1BB soldering station, W.E.P. 858D hot air wand station.

Postby mushy409 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:19 am

Anyone looked here? http://www.2spi.com/catalog/spec_prep/cond_paints.php

They do carbon-based conductive paint :)
mushy409
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: IR6000 fine tuned for pretty much everything! :)

Postby DrunkenNinja » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:05 pm

I thought I would post this cause even though many of you guys know this, there will be some that might not, so excuse the info if you know this stuff already :D

Firstly I guess am curious how well this would work with a CPU /GPU on the motherboard side where a trace repair would certainly be required also. When an active pad is lifted it will usually partially lift a small section of the trace before snapping so it is no longer simply a pad repair, but a pad/trace repair.

The majority of the pads are dummy GND or TEST pads not required by the bga so you could apply the paint and have the impression it has worked, when in fact it may not have been needed in the first place, many people have lifted pads in the past, reflowed the BGA and it has worked flawlessly for this very reason, also non attached pads lift easier than ones attached to a trace so there is that to consider also.

Please take a quick look at the Xbox 360 CPU Pin-out I have extracted and converted to JPG below (The 2nd image is the colour coded key):

You will see the vast majority of pads are not needed being either test or GND points.

To truly test if this paint is effective someone would need to test it on a known active pad in line with either a pin-out diagram or a scan of the motherboard to see if there was a trace from the repaired pad going somewhere.

Unfortunately I have never been able to find a pin-out of the Xbox 360 GPU but the rule of thumb is that the centre pads are usually not needed, with so many unused pads this may have been where the idea to integrate the CPU and GPU originated (XCGPU).
DrunkenNinja
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: Aoyue 968 - Modified Heatspreader / Puhui T-8280 - C100 Controller Modification

Postby pcpetes » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 pm

TiMMY12321 wrote:
pcpetes wrote:Out of the two silver paint brands i tested there isn't much difference. On both accounts after pulling the gpu and cleaning, the pad whole was still visible under a scope. This does work after attachment , and I've had a box running for three weeks on a repaired pad on a 360 hdmi.

It's a great idea and worth doing. I'm just prodding along with the 360 to see how long it last's. If i get 3+ months out of it, then that's good enough to start using on customer consoles... Nice work tahitian954 looks like a good repair procedure

Is this console still working or did it break down ?

Yess..!!! console 360 hdmi is working fine, closing on three months now. In relation to what drunkenNinja said about pin-outs, the pad on gpu was in center square 7th row down 2nd one in from left, that's with that marker pad top left corner (arrow).. pads facing upwards of course.. lol
pcpetes
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: Scotle IR6000,Jovy 140 ver 2.0 iron. Aoyue int 968. Zen st80 microscope

Postby Hoang » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:53 am

Most professional PCB repair technicians use a variety of different IPC repair techniques along with the "tricks of the trade" they have learned over pads and traces in order to facilitate a fast turnaround of the repair.One method of repairing damaged circuit pads is their adhesion to the PCB is using an electronics grade 2-part epoxy system or their dry film counterpart.
Hoang
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
40%

Previous

Return to Showcase Your Repairs, Tips & Tricks