How To Wire A BGA Rework Machine For North America

Rework and Rework Station guides and tutorials.

Re: How To Wire A BGA Rework Machine For North America

Postby Randy.t.l » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:13 am

Hey everybody, just joined this forum and have to say it is AWESOME! I really appreciate all the great and valuable info on here. :) Anyways, I am going to be getting a Scotle IR Pro SC v4 next month and was wondering about my set up. I live in North America and I know we have different outlets and voltage set ups than most other places. I plan on getting a 3000 or 5000 watt transformer(110v to 220v) and running a dedicated 110v line made of 10 gauge romex to my room with a 30 amp breaker on the breaker box. Would this be sufficient to run this machine? Any suggestions, tips, or comments. Thanks a lot.

~Randy

(p.s. I'm not sure if this post is in the wrong area. If it is, feel free to move it. Thanks.)
Randy.t.l
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

Set up: Scotle IR PRO SC v4, X Power 8786D

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tyiphius » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm

[quote="Randy.t.l"]Hey everybody, just joined this forum and have to say it is AWESOME! I really appreciate all the great and valuable info on here. :) Anyways, I am going to be getting a Scotle IR Pro SC v4 next month and was wondering about my set up. I live in North America and I know we have different outlets and voltage set ups than most other places. I plan on getting a 3000 or 5000 watt transformer(110v to 220v) and running a dedicated 110v line made of 10 gauge romex to my room with a 30 amp breaker on the breaker box. Would this be sufficient to run this machine? Any suggestions, tips, or comments. Thanks a lot.

~Randy

(p.s. I'm not sure if this post is in the wrong area. If it is, feel free to move it. Thanks.)[/quote]
If you have access to your breaker box, wouldn't it be easier to just run a dedicated 220v line and skip the transformer setup?
Although the transformer setup might be easier cause the Scotle IR PRO SC v4 seems to use a single live 220v wire instead of 2 live 110v wires :facepalm:
tyiphius
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Scotle IR PRO SC v4, Aoyue 968a+

Postby Randy.t.l » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:02 am

Yeah, I figure I'd rather go the transformer route so I don't have to mess with any wiring. Plus, it would be nice to have a high wattage transformer around, just in case. With a 5000 watt 110v to 220v transformer, 10 gauge romex wire, and a dedicated 30 amp breaker, do you know if it would run this machine fine? I'm going to start getting everything I need to set this up but just wanted to double check and make sure it would work before investing in it. thanks.
Randy.t.l
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

Postby tyiphius » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 am

The machine is either 2800w or 2900w (says that on the machine). Should be good with either a 3000w (once the scotle is the only thing plugged in) or 5000w transformer.
I have the Scotle IR PRO SC v4 and a 3000w transformer but I cant use mine cause my breaker is only 15a and i dont think im allowed to mess with any wiring or breaker stuff. I have to recheck with the apartment owners
tyiphius
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby code0102stinks » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:09 pm

[quote="Randy.t.l"]Yeah, I figure I'd rather go the transformer route so I don't have to mess with any wiring. Plus, it would be nice to have a high wattage transformer around, just in case. With a 5000 watt 110v to 220v transformer, 10 gauge romex wire, and a dedicated 30 amp breaker, do you know if it would run this machine fine? I'm going to start getting everything I need to set this up but just wanted to double check and make sure it would work before investing in it. thanks.[/quote]

Sounds like you are going to mess with with wiring anyway if you are going to run a 10 gauge 30A 110VAC circuit. You might as well run a 20A 220VAC circuit. Biggest 110
circuit you'll find existing in a house is 20A.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Postby code0102stinks » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:14 pm

[quote="tyiphius"]The machine is either 2800w or 2900w (says that on the machine). Should be good with either a 3000w (once the scotle is the only thing plugged in) or 5000w transformer.
I have the Scotle IR PRO SC v4 and a 3000w transformer but I cant use mine cause my breaker is only 15a and i dont think im allowed to mess with any wiring or breaker stuff. I have to recheck with the apartment owners[/quote]

Might be a 20A circuit in kitchen or bath, but that still won't provide more than 2400 watts. Maybe borrow 220 outlet from stove or dryer outlet if you have washer/dryer hookup.
If you are renting, it's borrow a 220 outlet of nothing I think.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:55 am

[quote="Randy.t.l"]Yeah, I figure I'd rather go the transformer route so I don't have to mess with any wiring. Plus, it would be nice to have a high wattage transformer around, just in case. With a 5000 watt 110v to 220v transformer, 10 gauge romex wire, and a dedicated 30 amp breaker, do you know if it would run this machine fine? I'm going to start getting everything I need to set this up but just wanted to double check and make sure it would work before investing in it. thanks.[/quote]

I run the IR6000 V4 on a 20A line with a 3kW transformer, and I've got two PCs, monitors, soldering iron, etc all plugged up on the same 20A circuit, running alongside the Scotle, never blown a breaker yet, so I see no reason your suggested configuration would be an issue.
Wolf
Banned
Banned

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: Scotle IR6000 V4

Postby tyiphius » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:27 am

Looks like the quoting isnt working for us :lol:
I'm still awaiting an email response from Scotle about the machine wiring. If it takes too long and i get too frustrated, I'm just going to swap the 15a breaker for a 20a and be done with it.
The apartment owners will just have to deal with it and go :rolleyes: themselves!
tyiphius
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby code0102stinks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:04 am

[quote="tyiphius"]Looks like the quoting isnt working for us :lol:
I'm still awaiting an email response from Scotle about the machine wiring. If it takes too long and i get too frustrated, I'm just going to swap the 15a breaker for a 20a and be done with it.
The apartment owners will just have to deal with it and go :rolleyes: themselves![/quote]

Putting a 20A breaker is probably a bad idea since the wiring fromt the breaker to that outlet is most likely 14-2 wiring, rated for 15A max.
Needs to be 12-2 wiring to accommodate 20A. Fire hazzard. Kitchen or bath could be fed with 12-2 and 20A circuits. If you have one of those, maybe
build your own 20A extension cord.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Randy.t.l » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:06 am

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'll go ahead and start getting the set up supplies! :)
Randy.t.l
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
20%

PreviousNext

Return to Rework/Station Guides