How To Wire A BGA Rework Machine For North America

Rework and Rework Station guides and tutorials.

Re: How To Wire A BGA Rework Machine For North America

Postby Dopesoner930 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:11 am

can a mod edit my last post without the video so i can get help? that is what i came here for help.. not to advertise another site not to start a flame war :cry:
Last edited by Dopesoner930 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dopesoner930
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
30%

Set up: Jovy re8500

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Flashing360 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 pm

can you start your own topic please bud as i cant retrieve your other post, that way we can give dedicated help to you.
Flashing360

Postby Dopesoner930 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I dont think i can make a new topic?perhaps because I am a new member with such a low post count? not sure. Anyways I will retype the post below:

Hello everyone at bga mods! Have checked this site out from time to time over the past 6 months or so and finally got a rework station of my own so figured it would be a perfect time to join up get and give help when possible. The machine I have is Jovy's re8500. It came in this past week. First thing i noticed is that the plug is europe\asia and not usa standard, That i know i can either buy a adapter for 20 or so or replace the plug altogether but my main concern is powering this machine. In the manual it came with it says:

Electrical Requirements:

- 230 V AC, 16 A
- 60/50Hz

Power Consumption: 3600 W MAX

So to power this thing if i were to go the transformer rout im looking at roughly $150 for one that that stepups to 4000w

However if there is another method that will be cheaper and not a nightmare I would love to do this. I have the electrical box accessible my machine is in the garage at my house. but dont know what to do or what is needed. Have looked at this and i know i would need the breaker for my box and a special outlet but is it something i could do? or requires a professional electrician?
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/img2919f.jpg/][IMG]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6344/img2919f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Also have heard that usa 230w and europe\asias is different and that it would be two lines here and they use one, and that this could have a affect on profiles? not being able to reach a certain temp in the desired time or something of the sort. Any input on this?

Thanks!
Dopesoner930
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
30%

Postby NorcalReballer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 pm

usually is 30amp 220v breaker with 10 gauge wire not 15amp like in the first pic. Usually for dryers and things like that here.

@Randy.t.l If you can run wire you might as well run a dedicated 220v 30amp circuit with 10 gauge wire and make sure its grounded properly. No need for the transformer really.

On a side note, I'm using the jovy re8500 which is rated at 3600w. I am using a transformer now(won't go into why)on a 110v 20amp circuit(12g wire of course) and even at 100% on all heaters the breaker doesn't trip. These machines are rated much higher than what they are actually pulling.
NorcalReballer
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Jovy re8500, JBC cd-1bb, xtronic 4000, custom DIY station(in the works)

Postby wills123 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm

not much help but im interested as too why you decided on the jovby machine???. as for transformers i wud recc omend you goi atleast 3 times higher trhan the max needd of the machuine, a member here had trouble goingt this route and i hoipe he will comment having much more exp in this field :beer:
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Postby Coleman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Welcome to the forum Dopesoner. You should be able to create a new thread. I always recommend to go with the dedicated outlet if possible.

Try creating a new thread here. http://www.bgamods.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 You may have tried to start a topic in a locked section.
Coleman
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V1

Postby Dopesoner930 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 am

Can someone take a look at this picture and see whether they can tell or not whether i have an outlet already like that (the washer and dryer one perhaps)
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/img2919f.jpg/]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img545/6344/img2919f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

thanks for all the responses!
Dopesoner930
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
30%

Postby NorcalReballer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 am

The jovy re8500 is a bad ass rework station. Not sure if you guys have used one or not. Its a straight up BEAST! I have great success with it. All the heaters glow very quickly and overall just works great. No PID only PWM and I use manual profiles(my fav).

I can't ground my 220v outlet and I've been running achi ir pro sc, honton r390, and the jovy re8500 all ungrounded for 2 years! Didn't want to do that anymore. I had an issue with a quartz heating element that made the case live. I value my life more than this stuff.. Way more... I have a 5000w transformer and ground is fine.

@Dopesoner930 Maybe the air conditioner is tied to the dryer circuit in your house? I know mine is. If you have a dryer circuit you can make it work just fine with no transformer BS. If its only a 3 prong plug be warned its not grounded(may have ground wire behind outlet). If it is 3 prong you have work to do.. Run wire for ground then change outlet etc. What looks like the ground pin on those 3 prong 220v outlets is actually neutral which your machine doesn't even need. UK they do need it though.

If its 4 prong its very simple and about 10 minutes of your time to make it work. Only need to switch the plug on your machine. You won't use the neutral prong on the plug for your machine only the two hots and ground.

BTW, I've been using a 12g 25 foot extension cord this whole time so the machine power cord can reach the power plug with no issues. Have also
NorcalReballer
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Jovy re8500, JBC cd-1bb, xtronic 4000, custom DIY station(in the works)

Postby nofeloniesyet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:10 am

anyone have a newer ir pro sc v4 scotle and know which wires are which for sure? i have grey brown and black,im not an electrical guy,lol,by any means,just doublechecking before i proceed.
nofeloniesyet
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Progress to next rank:
50%

Set up: SCOTLE IR PRO SC V4

Postby Coleman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 am

If you set your meter to continuity and touch the ground wire and a screw on the machine it will give you a reading or beep. The 2 live wires won't give a reading.
Coleman
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V1

PreviousNext

Return to Rework/Station Guides