Why its a good idea to nudge test bga when profile building

Rework and Rework Station guides and tutorials.

Postby wills123 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 pm

So after a conversation in mini chat i decided to try write this, im not so good at this sort thing so someone please edit :P

1*Not all tc's are exactly same or accurate

2*Not all machines are same or accurate

3*Not all climates are the same,slight breeze,humidity,ambient temp etc,etc

So how do we get around this, simples- nudge test,

A nudge test is where when working on a bga chip we very gently touch the bga being worked on too see when exactly the solder is molten!
Its a very simple process but, it takes practice as you do need to be very gentle or you risk moving the chip to far and breaking contacts

So heres what i did/do, set up your profile following the guide CLICK HERE, it takes time, read through as much as you can multiple times check out all relevant information for your machine.
Once you have a profile that is consistant upto 210c i then suggest that you consider nudge testing for the final steps, this way you ensure that the solder under the chip is actually molten.
You are looking for a tiny amount of movement so watch very carefully and tap the corner of the bga very gently,every second until the bga can be seen to move very slighty. If performed gently enough the surface tension of the solder will hold the bga in place(highly recommened you do this with scrap boards to get a feel for it)
So the bga moves at 217c, now what?- now you know the solder is molten at 217c on your machine and that you need not go any higher with the temps! I personally go 1-2c higher then shut the machine off and allow board too cool, Profile done :P
This varies from each machine for example i know my machine is nudging when it reads 226c,others may find it happens anywhere between 215-230 dependant on the machine etc etc

Hope this is of use to people, for the record once i had my profile i setup i only nudged 1 in 5 chips, this way i was ensuring the tc readings stayed accurate, others like to nudge every chip they do, as with most things its down to personal preference, my hands are shaky so i dont like to risk nudging chips too hard :P
wills123
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: highly modded achi ir6000,2400w switched bottom,omega tc port,internal vac pump

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Why its a good idea to nundge test bga when profile buil

Postby s4charged » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 am

If the chip has glue around the chip can it still be nudged?
s4charged
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: Scotle IR360 Pro V3, Scotle IR Pro SC V4, Aoyue 968+, home depot heat gun :)

Re: Why its a good idea to nundge test bga when profile buil

Postby unleashed1982 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am

[quote="s4charged"]If the chip has glue around the chip can it still be nudged?[/quote]

Just remove the epoxy, get a better re-flow with it gone ;)
unleashed1982
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: atten 858d, T-8280

Why its a good idea to nundge test bga when profile building

Postby Coleman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 am

It's there to keep the bga in place. Nudging it will push it up onto the epoxy and break the connections to motherboard so a reball would be required. Always remove epoxy to get best reflow possible.
Coleman
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V1

Return to Rework/Station Guides