Opinions on this type of setup

Discussion, support and reviews of preheaters.

Postby WildCard007 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 am

Hi,
This section doesn't have a lot of posts to it but I believe this is the correct place to post this thread. If I'm mistaken please move this to the correct location.
I posted in the welcome section that I'm working on starting up a repair business for video game consoles, computers, phones, and MP3 players. I've accumulated about 13+ Xbox 360 systems with RR and E74 issues and 5 or so PS3 systems with YL or RL issues. I know a majority of these issues will involve doing a reflow or reball of the GPU. So I decided that I want to get involved with the equipment I will need in order to perform these repairs professionally. I'm also interested in doing reballs and reflows for computers as well.

Basic info about me and my situation, I live in a 1 level style house that I'm renting. I have a room dedicated to repairs but don't have any major equipment in here (mostly heat gun, soldering irons but not a station for soldering). I have not had to adjust the electrical outlets since I've been here. There are 2 windows that can open and a fan so I can vent the room if needed. That's the back story and this is the relevant part.

Someone on the Team-Xecuter site that seems to have a good rep is selling a lot of equipment and I was wondering as a newbie to these type of repairs with my current living situation would the following items be a good investment for me to do quality repairs with at my skill level until I improve or would I be better off saving up for better equipment? I know a lot of it after quality of products comes down to preference but right now I dont' have the experience to have a preference so any opinions about the equipment are welcome. I would also appreciate advice on a rework station that would go well with this setup. Any other advice is also welcome. The guy wants $350 for the following items and my budget is around $600 for everything including the rework station, solder balls, and other things I will need in addition to the items he has lsited here.

Here's the details about the equipment he shared with me:
A professional pre heater Aoyue int 883, it also has the top heater nozzle holder, also comes with a adjustable jig witch will fit PS3, Xbox phat and slim and just about any motherboard. I am also throwing in a 4141 and a 3939 nozzle. Its also a 110 outlet preheater. The only thing u will need to go out and get is a rework station and flux etc. on reballing u need a non direct jig but after u buy this i have one coming with my new setup i can let u have. the jig fits all its adjustable. and it does come with a bunch of nozzles including GPU, CPU. it has a built in holder for the top preheater. it has Thermocouples built in also but i would suggest getting another set because i always use 4 when reflowing and reballing.

If there is repeat information in the last paragraph I appologize, this is the information he gave me through his original post and messages he has sent.

Thank you for your help
WildCard007
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Opinions on this type of setup

Postby Coleman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 am

My opinion would be to save up for a Scotle IR6000 V4. Using the setup above will require a hot air station like Aoyue 968 and is a real pain to use. It's much easier to use a ir6000 compared to that setup. I can do you a good deal on 1 with reball package and free jig of your choice.
Coleman
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Canada
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V1

Postby DrunkenNinja » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:13 am

I agree with Matt, an Scotle IR6000 V4 is a top piece of equipment at a great price at the moment and makes it about as easy as it can be.

Don't get me wrong Pre-heaters combined with Hot air stations are great and I use one that I don't plan on changing anytime soon but the amount of mods and time I have spent setting it up is frighting, I have loved every minute of it (maybe not every minute actually) but I get a buzz from the hands on feel using my set up and it's flexibility, however, yo have to be into this stuff and not need to dive straight into your rework journey :D

Sounds like you would still need to purchase a Hot air station from you post it you took him up on the offer, I would probably advise against it,
DrunkenNinja
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: Aoyue 968 - Modified Heatspreader / Puhui T-8280 - C100 Controller Modification

Postby jamesfreddie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:27 am

I have got to say that a programmable rework machine makes life a lot easier.

I would defiantly recommend getting one if you can stretch to one.

I have got to say I am not a jovy fan but this is a good deal from norcal viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2247&view=unread#unread I would seriously consider it.
jamesfreddie
Banned
Banned

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: Honton R392 Atten 858D, Aoyue 968, T8280, SCOTLE HT-80, WEP 942 Aoyue 2901 Clone

Postby DrunkenNinja » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:06 pm

jamesfreddie wrote:I have got to say that a programmable rework machine makes life a lot easier.

I would defiantly recommend getting one if you can stretch to one.

I have got to say I am not a jovy fan but this is a good deal from norcal viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2247&view=unread#unread I would seriously consider it.

Your right james, with the op in the US thats a great opportunity, no doubt norcal with give some specific support also which you cant buy.
DrunkenNinja
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain
Set up: Aoyue 968 - Modified Heatspreader / Puhui T-8280 - C100 Controller Modification

Postby Flashing360 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I could do a t8280, aoyue 968a+ and console reball package for under your $600 and then you'd just need to sort a top wand holder. All would be 110v aswell.
Flashing360

Postby WildCard007 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:49 am

I would like to say thank you to everyone for the support and information you have provided to me. I read the suggestions and I think it would be a much better choice to go with the Scotle IR6000 v4. It sounds like everyone would suggest me going with the Scotle than any other route with the exception of the money limitation I had. Right now I'm expecting to have a $600 budget for this purchase but I would much rather invest more money wisely than to need an upgrade or get confused using equipment that would take a lot more for a newbie to understand. I was looking up the Scotle and saw this option as well. I was planning on getting a temperature controlled soldering station at some point so this would be helpful.

http://www.bgasupplies.com/scotle-ir600 ... ga-bundle/

There are a few questions that I have about this product. If I were to buy this mega bundle, what else would I need in order to get my reballing setup completely ready? Right now I'm planning on working with Xbox 360s and PS3s but laptop GPUs down the line. Why is the weight less for this bundle if it has more items in it than this version.

http://www.bgasupplies.com/scotle-ir6000-v4/

What is a route I can go in order to begin learning more about reballing, reflowing, the equipment needed, and what is needed to pair equipment vs what will not work? I would like to learn more so I can have more specific questions and I would like to have a better understanding of everything. I would like to move out of newb town as soon as possible. Right now I'm new project / new purchase happy and am not taking things as slowly as I may need to but will not go forward until I feel comfortable with what I'm about to do.

Coleman, what would come with the deal you are talking about vs the standard Scotle vs the Scotle mega bundle?

Thank you all again :)
WildCard007
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby NorcalReballer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 am

One thing I will say is to hook your room up with negative pressure. Basically, get a window fan and set it to exhaust. When there's more suction at the window than air that can come in the room the bad air(flux fumes/smoke)can't go back into the house at all. Its not as good as expensive extraction system but it works well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_pressure
NorcalReballer
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Jovy re8500, JBC cd-1bb, xtronic 4000, custom DIY station(in the works)

Postby WildCard007 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:07 am

Thank you NorcalReballer. I was thinking about having 2 fans (1 for each window) but what you said makes more sense :). Where my workstation will be is actually right in front of one of the windows. I was also thinking about getting a small device that I can keep around for when I'm soldering that will take the fumes and filter them so there is less chance of them getting near me. But having 1 fan on exhaust will probably do a much better job. I was worried bringing that much air flow over the items being worked on would cause issues with the solder joints but that might just be a paranoid worry.
WildCard007
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby DrunkenNinja » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 am

It's good to set this stuff up at the beginning cause afterward you won't be bothered. Safety always seems to hit the back burner once your up and running.

Creating Neg Pressure is a top idea.
DrunkenNinja
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Great Britain

Next

Return to Preheaters