Macbook Pro Reflow

Support forum for any laptop repairs.

Macbook Pro Reflow

Postby k8bdr9 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi I'm new to the site. Does anyone have any profiles for reflowing the Apple Macbook Pro GPU's? The machine I have is an ACHI IR6000

Thanks so much..
k8bdr9
Progress to next rank:
20%

Set up: ACHI IR6000

Macbook Pro Reflow

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Macbook Pro Reflow

Postby matic_s » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Hello!

You should to build your own profile. Here is good guide how to do that.

BTW: Reflow/reball on MacBook GPU is unfortunately only temporary fix. You should to replace the GPU with brand new one for permanent fix.
matic_s
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Slovenia
Set up: Achi IR PRO SC V3, Atten 850B, Hameg HM507

Postby Dee30 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 pm

I have the same machine, I use this manually by pausing at certain temps as I work on a lot of different boards with variation of thickness withand so needs different temps.

I made a blank profile with just the top setting straight to 230c.
I pause this soon as I start profile. on whatever room temp it detects.
I then set the bottom heater to a temperature the will let the top sensor read 125C (you may have to do this bit a few times to get right 125c temp). This part will also change from board to board depending on thickness, hence why I do this manually.

Once you got the 125C, just let it preheat boardt for a few mins.

Now unpause the top heater by pressing run which should of been stuck at whatever room temp it detected at the begining. (note if you started profile again, you will notice top temp will start at what ever temp it currently reads, so take the temp sensor of the board for a second till it reaches a lower temp, then start the profile again and pause, put sensor back on and contnue manual profile.)

then let it reach 145C and pause for at least 2mins.

then unpause and let it reach 165c and pause for at least 5mins (reason being ive had chips that have high humidty inside and it pops, heating them a while prevents this every time, I do it for longer at times if it had water damage.)

then unpause till it gets to 190C at this point let it stay here for a minute and then take chip off if its leaded.

If not carry on and unpause till it gets to 205C and pause for 20 secs.
Unpause and let it go to 217C and leave for 10 seconds, it should now come off nicelly. Make sure you do not have any bonding arounf the chips.

Good luck, hope this helps. I would preheat the whole board in a toaster oven for around an hour or two at 100c before using IR6000.
Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Postby Deus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am

@Dee30
Do you also pause the bottom heater?
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby koubik » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:11 pm

I think that explains your bent chip.
koubik
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Greece
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V3

Postby Dee30 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Deus, no the bottom heater stays on what ever I have set it on to reach 125c detected by top sensor, then i just unpause top heater to reach 145C and pause etc...

Koubik, the bending only happens with I core cpus as they are thin and im not the only one whos had this problem, Ive been using this method of reflowing or reballing for 7 years now with no problems on other bga chips such as pch, gpu, mcp and core 2 duo's. This method allows more control as I use a lot of different boards and even the same boards sometimes need a bit more preheating if it looks like its been exposed to moisture.

A fixed profile doesn't always work if you plan to re use the chip, as the chip will pop if it has moisture inside it, so I play by sight and see if it needs more heating at certain temps, i.e I may leave it on 165C for few more mins before i unpause to 190c. Better chance of survival of chip this way.

(you can preheat the whole board if you have an oven and keep it in there for a few hours at 100c, I dont have one, so i use this method)
Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Postby Deus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Dee30 wrote:Deus, no the bottom heater stays on what ever I have set it on to reach 125c detected by top sensor, then i just unpause top heater to reach 145C and pause etc...

Before going any further, correct specs of your machine and detailled workflow for both top and bottom set values, which are changed or not during the whole process pls.

Which IR 6000 model you have EXACTLY? The one with 800 watt single square bottom heater?
Or the one with the 3x600 watt bottom heater?

Is the bottom TC between heaters and PCB, touching IR element or touching bottom of PCB?
What is the bottom temp set at? Does it stay on the same setting for 125c on top? Or is it set to a higher value?

Can you Post a reflow graph with both top and bottom temps?
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Dee30 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 pm

I have the IR6000 one plate ceramic plate 800w (but really doesn't matter when you understand the process)

Bottom TC is touching element, I tried doing it in the air just underneath PCB but found the temps fluctuated a lot as these machines aren't exactly perfect or top of the range, I just found it easier to control temps if the bottom tc touches the bottom plate.

All machines vary with their sensors even if they are identical model, so my temp settings will differ from yours, but it doesn't matter here once you understand the process.

The idea is, that you put your pcb in place and top sensor in place, when you are ready you press the start button but pause it straight away (run button) so that the top heater does not come on, it should read your room temp at this point.

Bottom heater will automatically start as there is no pause button, now you need to experiment a few times here with different boards so you get to know what board needs what temp settings for bottom heating.

Set a predefined temp on the bottom controller heater i.e start low like 250C value set, wait until it reaches this temp and wait a further min, now read the top sensor reading, you want to adjust the bottom temp predefined value while its on to make this top sensor read between 125C - 130C (approx), if it goes over, then you need to lower the bottom temp. (if you start again to soon by stopping the process, note that the top sensor will have a high reading and that you may end up starting the top heater as you will be pausing at this temp, I usually take top sensor off briefly to cool it much lower then current board temp, hit start button, pause it and put top sensor back on which will give top sensor higher reading but top heater will be much lower value so it wont kick in just yet as you've paused it at that lower temp.

Once you've mastered getting the top sensor to read 125C - 130C by adjusting the bottom heater, you can start the manual profile as mentioned in post from earlier date.

Point is, you put another different thickness board in, and you wont get the same temp reading for 125C, so you will have to adjust again lower or higher depending on thickness from the last board to get the top sensor to read 125c - 130C, ive made a note of what boards need what bottom heater value set at to get top sensor to read 125C approx, its a pitty that bottom heater does not have memory function.

Once you got the 125C, just work your way up by unpausing top heater and pausing at certain temps as mentioned earlier post.

Do understand that this is at your own risk and do not work on a actively repairable board for costumer etc, try it first on donor boards.
Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Postby Deus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:40 pm

@Dee30 Not an answer to my question.

Asked to tell what you do with your heater/temp settings for both top and bottom when you run your machine.
For example, if say your machine gives 125c on top with a setting of 250c for bottom, do you keep your bottom heater set at 250c during the whole process?
Or do you change bottom temp too when starting top heater?
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Dee30 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm

No the bottom heater stays constant at this setting through out and you work your way up using only the top heater. Your top heater should be 1 and half inches away from the bga chip, too close and you will popcorn the chip.
Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Next

Return to Laptop Repairs