Macbook Pro Reflow

Support forum for any laptop repairs.

Re: Macbook Pro Reflow

Postby Deus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

@Dee30
If your bottom setting gives you max 125-130c on top during the whole process it's set way to low.
If you use that on PS3 you'll definitely get solder bleeding, on Xbox 360 popcorning.
Modern BGAs like laptop GPUs can stand more, but doubt you'll never have problems with that low bottom temp.

@k8bdr9 :
Which specs is your IR6000?

Use the guides for settings, temps etc from link matic_s posted.
Testing to define settings for your bottom heater. Once you have those you can run it manually trying to simulate a profile, sometimes a better option.
Last edited by Deus on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Deus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:08 pm

@Dee30

This is a profile graph used on an iMac VGA card, a small pcb.

I am still tweaking this to get shorter times, used that on a PS3 board and got +/- the same result. Wanted to save it but pressed wrong button, start instead of save, didn't want to repeat.
So changed that same profile a bit, shorter time settings and used it on a PS3PS3_COK-002, result close to what was expected.
That PS3 pcb is maybe 8 times larger so you'd expect it to take longer to run, not?
However, the shorter timings made the profile shorter, no solder bleeding or popcorning.
Pretty good, not?

It's a "universal" profile for me. Use it on everything, only thing I might change depending pcb is bottom heat
(I dry all my pcbs in an oven before reworking them.)
Seems bottom heat power does make a difference...
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Dee30 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 pm

@Deus

Yes your absolutely correct about using my guidelines for games consoles, not good for those as the boards are larger as well, but for me, I use the manual way for macbook logic boards which work well for me.
If too much heat applied on the bottom heater, Ive experienced pads coming off with the bga chip once you reached end of profile. So I did a lot of tweaking years ago when HP had problems with GPU's and a lot of scrap DV9000 boards later I found a guide for me that worked with much higher success rates.
Again it really depends on what you want to do, if your going to replace the chip, then no worrying about damaging the chip, but if i plan to reuse the chip, I would be much more careful and run the manual profile much slower with longer heating stages, I use to do short profiles when I was starting out, even after oven preheating, chips would not work again, but profile I was running was just pretty much like your graphs, then I realized that the chips would die. you will here a small crack sound, sometimes not even audible, then you know your chip is done for.
So i always run the profile slower if I know im going to reuse the chips. This works for me anyway.

Keep us posted about your profile for xbox or ps3 as I have a lot of these i bought in a job lot few years ago, just haven't had the time to work on them, would be a help to see how well you do, thank you.
Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Previous

Return to Laptop Repairs