Reballing Core i5-2467M CPU Bending

Support forum for any laptop repairs.

Postby Dee30 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Has anyone managed to do this, reball any of the core i cpu's that have their die (the silver bit ontop) not in the center of bga chip, like the I5-2467M.

The problem im having is that its not soldering into pads on one side and I attempted this a few times, I then realized that it may have to do with the capacitors soldered underneath this chip which will tip the chip forward on one side when solder balls are in liquid state.

So I propped up one side with capacitors on either end to prevent tipping with little margin on this chip edges. And although this partially worked, an area did not solder into pads.

Close inspection, the BGA chip has a slight bend in the middle, I have taken out a few of these cpu chips and being careful not to over heat or use lengthy profile on BGA machine, it still bends the chip.

Anyone manage to reball this and install it onto board successfully?

These images show the cpu chip when its not soldered in yet.

Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Reballing Core i5-2467M CPU Bending

Postby chrisart » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:40 pm

good day.,what reballing machine you are using sir.?,i also have this problem, my theory is this, there is a common bending on motherboard when using not large pre-heating machines,although the motherboard deform in small amount, this type of processor bend itself after pulling out of the motherboard and i think the success rate of reballing of this chip is very small,one time i have manage to reball this chip but did not last long maybe 5-6months., i didnt try to buy a new chip with solder balls attach, maybe that is the only way because new chip has a perfect form..
chrisart
Progress to next rank:
80%

National Flag:
Philippines
Set up: ir6500

Postby koubik » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Motherboard bending = uneven heat
koubik
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Greece
Set up: Scotle IR360 PRO V3

Postby Dee30 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi guys, no, the board is straight, this bend is in the middle of chip a small area, I always pre heat boards fully for at least few mins before top heat is activated.

Ive been doing reword, reballing for around 7 years now on mcp's pch's, gpu etc, but I core cpu's seem to not be easy, they are thin and the die is not in the centre which makes me wonder if thats the problem when heating.
Ive tried a fews times. When looking at the chip before attaching to board, i can see it has a slight bend in the in the middle, so Im just asking if anyone has successfully done this without chip bending, chrisart you seem to understand this, so a new chip would be the answer then, although I would take of the lead free and put leaded back on just so that I can put the chip back on at lower temps. I cant seem to find sellers, not even on aliexpress.
Dee30
Progress to next rank:
60%

Return to Laptop Repairs