Scotle IR 6000 problem with a bigger top heater

Support forum for Scotle BGA rework stations.

Re: Scotle IR 6000 problem with a bigger top heater

Postby Rework » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:00 pm

I appreciate your knowledge. Like said, i am not an expert in heating elements and all other components that are used as equipment in a rework machine. I am more focused on the use of the machine and the actual work. But to be honest all these low budget machines are just that what you pay for when they arrive. And if you manage to spend some time on them and analyze things, there is pretty much room for improvement. I insulated all my IR heaters with rockwool. I cuted all edges and pieces to the right place in order to get the best possible heat efficiency. In comparison to the point as the machine arrived, the machine works 5 times better and more precisely. You can also not rely on the cheap noname heaters. If you take your work seriously, you have to invest in proper ir heating elements. There are things on the machine, that have could easy been evaded if someone had the ambition to make it right. Also the fan in the rear right corner sucks partially the heat away by creating slight airflow. When you just apply some capton tape, or aluminium foil tape and insulate the place between the bottom heater pan/housing you solve that problem. The machine will work even more precisely. Also the front, where the controllers are, when you apply some insulation material between them and the empty place and the bottom heating pan, they will never get warm. There is so much place and possibilities for improvement. Even Elstein advises to insulate all heaters correctly to get the most out of them. They promise up to 30% better and efficient heating this way. But please take a look at the chart on Elstein`s website : http://www.elstein.com/en/elstein-produ ... l-details/
In my opinion still misleading. In theory many things could be possible. even the 60x60 gets barely to 700 °C. If the heater is in range to reach that 860 °C is questionable, even after 20 minutes or more.
Rework
Progress to next rank:
20%

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby crossleymarko » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:38 am

we are talking "IR" plates here arnt we .. why are you insulating them....??

sorry am i missing something.. ive knocked up a good few diy machines and never needed insulation.. the workings are in the name surly.

reflection is what you want id hazzard a guess :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
crossleymarko
Valued Member
Valued Member
Progress to next rank:
30%

Set up: wATS IT TO YOU.. ILL TELL YA AFTER

Postby Rework » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Probably you are not able to understand nothing. A reflector will not help you at all if you have a smaller heater that is fitted into a bigger housing than it is originally supposed to be. Do it yourself machines mostly suck at all. Only a few people are able to build something that is functioning well. I don`t care about your opinion and about the fact that you think you are smart, but i am standing behind everything written in my last post. I had all mentioned problems, which i solved this way. If you think that you don`t need to insulate the edges of the heaters, don`t insulate them. You should add a big cooler fan during the reworking process and let it blow in direction of the machine and the board. No need to evade airflow, especially IR machines like that, probably an opened window will help you too. The only thing i know is that the machine is much better now. The loses during the dwell times were to big. Now everything is better, the rockwool holds the heat, no loses. Especially, the last step during soldering was weak, the top heater needed much longer to achieve the set value. Now it is a whole different story. I don`t know what and how you understood my post, but your behavior is pretty arrogant. Why is the factory adding some insulating material under the bottom heating elements,too ? If you would use 1 or 2 of your brain cells than you would know that you get a similar effect like a reflector with some proper insulation. Your goal is to hold the heat in one direction to be reflected, letting the heat to spread and escape to the sides will result in heat loss.
Rework
Progress to next rank:
20%

Postby Deus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:26 pm

@code0102stinks
Just an idea... Maybe start repairing (IR) rework machines ?
;)
Last edited by Deus on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Deus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:27 pm

delete pls, double post.
Deus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby code0102stinks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 pm

@Deus
Repair who's machines? Nobody around where I live uses these things.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Previous

Return to Scotle