Bottom controller CH6 starts resetting itself after awhile

Support forum for Scotle BGA rework stations.

Postby liquidzorch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Hello. I have had this problem since I bought the rework machine. It is a scotle ir6000 v4. I contacted the company when I noticed the failure and they sent me a new bottom controller but it did the exact same thing and I just left it like that. It has been a couple years and I want to fix it. Here is the problem:

When the controller is in its place, and I start to preheat a board for half an hour, I guess it gets hot and starts resetting itselft infinitly. Since it is resetting itself it has no more controller over the bottom plates and they never turn off, so they keep getting hotter and hotter till I turn it off.

The solution I found was to remove the bottom controller from the scotle, and have it hanging outside, and it does not fail like that, even after hours of preheating. Thats why I am guessing it has to do with heat since outside it does not fail. Although one day when it was failing from being inside, I removed it and places my hand in (carefully haha) it did not feel too hot inside the scotle.

Has this happend to anyone?

Here is a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaDdolfYD8

It starts to fail at 2:57 minute. I do not use those profiles anymore. Now it gets to max 270 degrees and still fails the same, only when placed.

Here is a picture of how I have it so it does not fail. http://i.imgur.com/oDSxYgP.jpg
liquidzorch
VIP Member
VIP Member

Set up: Scotle IR 6000 V4

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bottom controller CH6 starts resetting itself after awhi

Postby code0102stinks » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Why are you preheating a board to 165-170C for 30 minutes? If you are removing moisture, do it in an oven at like 110C or on your preheater
just above boiling point of water. Whole length of profile isn't even 10 minutes. Even with a low wattage machine like yours. Seems obvious
that after such a long period of time of running machine, the inside case temp is going hotter than that controller can handle. Outside the
case it isn't effected by case temp anymore. Might need to shield it inside and add a cooling fan to vent the case. The PC410 can evidently
tolerate more heat than the bottom controller.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Postby liquidzorch » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:01 am

code0102stinks wrote:Why are you preheating a board to 165-170C for 30 minutes? If you are removing moisture, do it in an oven at like 110C or on your preheater
just above boiling point of water. Whole length of profile isn't even 10 minutes. Even with a low wattage machine like yours. Seems obvious
that after such a long period of time of running machine, the inside case temp is going hotter than that controller can handle. Outside the
case it isn't effected by case temp anymore. Might need to shield it inside and add a cooling fan to vent the case. The PC410 can evidently
tolerate more heat than the bottom controller.

\That profile is no longer in use. That profile was when the boards were too high above the preheater. Now I use 270 degrees bottom heat, wich will get the top of the board (mostly xbox boards) to 110 degrees. The board cant get any lower, it is only 1 inch above the preheater. And about me using it to preheat that long, it shouldnt matter, as it starts failing about 10 minutes after starting the profile.

I have found preheating at least half an hour helps moisture out. I am looking to buy an oven, but in the meantime this works. And it shouldnt fail at 10 minutes. Especially since ps3 boards need more heat and more time.

I noticed the fan in the back is sucking clean air into the machine, instead of sucking hot air out. Is this how it should be, or did they install it the wrong way? I cant find any info on the internet about the fan.
liquidzorch
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby code0102stinks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:32 am

I don't have your machine, but that fan direction you described sounds like it must be backwards. Everything electronic I have seen have main fan suck hot
air out of the case. Vent grills around the machine allow cool air come in to replace the hot air removed by the fan. I do my own DIY stuff that way and
my T-8280 is that way. Xbox 360's and any other consoles are that way. Suck hot air out of the case. Looking at picks or other IR600's on the net it looks like
your fan is in the rear on the right hand side. Your's would be blowing the heat from your bottom element tray right toward the front of the case.
code0102stinks
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Set up: DIY Hot Air Top Heater and Nozzle. Modded T8280 Preheater

Postby liquidzorch » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Ok. I will turn the fan around so it sucks out air. I am almost certain it should suck hot air out like you say. I will wait for a repair to test the machine with the controler in its place. Thanks.
liquidzorch
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby liquidzorch » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:43 pm

I turned the fan around. But It does the same thing. It started about 15 minutes into the preheat. with bottom heater at 270 c. I know I maybe should have it on that long, but it still shouldnt fail like this as I have seen many videos, guides and tutorials where they use higher temps for longer.

Anything I could try?
liquidzorch
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby matic_s » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Do you replace the whole controller, or just the inner part without plastic housing?
If you replaced only the inner part it can be bad contact on the connectors between PCB and connectors on the back side.

You can try to pull it out of the machine (like on this picture) and heat it up with hair dryer. If it will fails when it is warm it is probably bad connection or bad solder joint inside the controller.
matic_s
VIP Member
VIP Member

National Flag:
Slovenia
Set up: Achi IR PRO SC V3, Atten 850B, Hameg HM507

Postby liquidzorch » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the whole controller. I will to heat it up outside with a hair dryer, thats a good idea to make sure it is from heat. Sadly I do not have one. I will have to borrow one from someone. I will try this week and post the results.
liquidzorch
VIP Member
VIP Member

Return to Scotle